If you can braid hair, you can make a braided challah. This easy recipe works beautifully with our flour mix and is simple enough that additions like orange zest or currants would be sublime.
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 ½ tablespoons yeast
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Scant ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 lb Super Bloom AP flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix water, yeast and sugar in a big bowl and set it aside until it becomes foamy.
- Add the olive oil to the wet mixture, then mix in the flour and salt, kneading to combine.
- Keep kneading until the dough forms a ball. Cover with plastic and let it rise for an hour in a warm place.
- This is when I turn the oven to 425 and set my dough in a heatproof bowl on the stove top to take advantage of the extra warmth. . .
- When the dough has doubled in size, split it into three balls. Make 3 long longs of dough roughly 1 foot long and braid it, like you would braid hair. Tuck the ends underneath and place it on an oiled baking pan. Top with sesame seeds if you would like...
- Bake at 425 for 35-45 minutes. Cool completely before slicing!
*This is not certified Kosher. It's our gluten-free vegan recipe, and a celebration of this beautiful bread.