This past weekend, a long time ride or die friend came in for one last hurrah before the summer draws to a close. I always make sure that the fridge is stocked with bread before we have a friend in town. I just know it's what is expected at this point in my life. I also try to make sure I’ve got good coffee and maybe some snacks, but for the most part, I take it as time to cook some great meals for my friend. It is after all how I started this whole food trajectory that my life has taken, cooking for friends. This weekend, i had a fridge full of bread and some veggies that needed to be eaten right away. Also, gonna be honest, I saw someone make this on Tik Tok. It looked so so good and I just knew I could make a great vegan version. So, here it is! This sandwich would be great on our new Sweet Loaf, and its great pre-beach fuel (especially if you had too many pina coladas at the tiki bar last night…)
- 1 cup shredded fresh veggies: cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, onion, zucchini or whatever you have on hand
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup Mung Bean powder
- 2 TBS oil for cooking
- Chopped chives for garnish
- 2-4 toasted slices of super bloom bakery sweet loaf
- 1-2 slices vegan cheddar cheese
- Sriracha and vegan mayo to taste
Bowl, skillet, spatula
- Mix mung bean flour, water and salt in a bowl.
- Add shredded veggies and mix until combined
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add your oil
- Scoop the batter into the skillet, spread it out and cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes until it releases from the pan, the bottom will be crispy
- Carefully flip the patty and cook for 5-10 minutes on the other side
- Cut into sandwich sized pieces, layer on toasted brioche with mayo, sriracha, cheese and chives. Serve Hot!